Thursday, September 7, 2017

Hello Everyone

I just wanted to take a few minutes to say that I have missed checking in with all of you. After a lot of self-examination, I decided to change my major - ha, ha, sounds like I'm twenty instead of fifty-five but in my opinion, it is never too late to make a change. That means taking a full class load so that I can graduate next fall possibly (hopefully) next summer. I've made the switch to human services and am very excited about all of the possibilities. For me, it isn't about making money it is about doing something I feel passionate about. As a result, there hasn't been a lot of me time.

I joined the summer book bingo group informally, not looking to win just to join for fun. Sadly, I didn't accomplish as much pleasure reading as I would have liked.


Blurbed by someone you admire - To The Bright Edge of the World 4 stars (probably more like 5)
Recommended by a family member - Girl in the Dark 3 stars
Alternate history - The Eyre Affair 4 stars (I made out better listening rather than reading)
Thriller - Defending Jacob 5 stars
Biography of a royal - The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and         Alexandra 4 stars
Banned in the US - The Color Purple 4 stars
Collection of essays - Essays After Eighty 5 stars
Bird or animal on the cover - Magpie Murders 4 stars
Written under a pseudonym - The Clue of the Dancing Puppet 5 stars (because my summer isn't complete without Nancy Drew)
Graphic novel - Blankets 3 stars
Originally published in the 21st century - Water for Elephants 5 stars

I may not have accomplished much reading, but I enjoyed what I did read.

Another significant life change - adding a new member to the family.




Yes, he (Bernie) makes number five, and that is the very limit! He was brought into the veterinary practice my daughter works at by someone who found him on a very busy Route 1. They think he was thrown from a car. The poor little guy has a broken leg and required some very expensive surgery with more to come in the future. As a result, he has to be confined for six to eight weeks (not easy with a kitten). Although he is supposedly my son's cat - ha, ha, I'm the one giving the pain medicine, etc. but I don't mind. For all he has been through, he has the sweetest, most loving personality. He is quite the cuddle bug and a great stress reliever.

I hope to be able to catch up on my blog reading over the next several days. Hope you all had a wonderful summer and I hope to be back soon. Until next time, take care!

11 comments:

Annie with the ducks said...

Rescue pets are the best! Congrats on school.

diamondc said...

Penny: God Bless you for taking this sweet baby into your home, we have a rescue cat and dog who both cost us a fortune to take care of due to surgery's, I would not have it any other way, I love them as if they are my own human children.

Blessings
Catherine

Vickie said...

I hope your new major brings you much happiness Penny.
Bernie is precious. Henry is one of our two rescue poodles. He is sleeping on my lap as I type. ;) I wish I could say "5 is my limit with poodles." hahahahahahahaha! :D

Robin in Virginia said...

Bernie is a cutie; bless you and yours for taking in him. Enjoy your weekend!

Margaret said...

Awww, such a cute kitten! I hope he recovers well. I enjoyed seeing what you read -- very interesting. Good luck with your school work.

Barb said...

What a cute addition to your family! Best of luck on your change of course. I taught for 30 years and would not trade that occupation for lots of money!! Feeling like you are doing something that matters is priceless.

Brigitte said...

Good luck with your new classes. It's always great when you start to get to new shores and of course it's very time consuming. So the hobbies have to the backseat during this time. But it's also very rewarding.

Carol said...

It's always nice to catch up with you, Penny--sounds like life is busy, busy, busy, but I'm glad you made the decision to change your major and pursue something you will enjoy vs. something that pays well. I was fortunate enough to have a job I loved all these years and, even though it didn't pay well, I got so much more out of it with the smiles and thank yous from different library patrons whom I helped through the years. I wish you all the best--you'll be great!

Love little Bernie--he's so lucky to have found a loving home!

Enjoy your weekend and good luck with your new major :)

Astrids dragon said...

I'm glad you found something that you will enjoy doing, a lot of people don't find that.
Oh, Bernie is adorable! What a lucky guy to be in your family.

Julie said...

Sound like you have been busy Penny.
Your new kitty is adorable, hope he is not being too naughty.
xx

Mary said...

Wonderful news about school and the new kitten (I hope all his care hasn't been too traumatic for you, but I know you are a blessing for him!!) ... and YAY for some wonderful summer reading!! it's always good to see a post from you. xo - Mary