Friday, August 19, 2011

Stitching and a Visit to Old New Castle

First of all, I want to thank everyone again for all of your lovely comments. I've been made to feel very welcome. My husband has been on vacation the last two weeks and I feel like I'm having stitching/reading withdrawal. I find myself getting up way too early to try and squeeze in a little bit of both. By the time we get home from whatever we've done that day, I can't keep my eyes open long enough to do anything. My husband kind of vacations in a strange way~he takes Monday-Friday off but works on the weekends. Unfortunately, most of my weekend has consisted of catching up on the laundry and cleaning. It's amazing how turned upside down this house can get with three supposed adults living in it. The cats contribute their fair share to the mess also. Still I have been determined and managed to finish a couple of things

The Adam and Eve Sampler by The Goode Huswife

I'm afraid the Algerian Eye stitches may not be the best, and I cheated and omitted the row of Queen stitch. Still I'm happy with it~it's the first of what I hope will be many Adam & Eve samplers.

Be True by Little House Needleworks

I've also been trying to work on Mary Rayner by Threads Through Time a little bit. I had done part of the border and the flower in the upper left, back in the spring. The rest I've been able to squeeze in little by little over these two weeks.


I've not done well with my reading. I finished Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian. Maybe it's because everything has felt so chaotic during this vacation, but I really didn't enjoy it and the ending was predictable. Siobhan, you were right, I am enjoying The Heretic's Daughter. I find I don't want to put it down.

I love to go to Old New Castle and look at all of the old houses and beautiful gardens. I'm trying to get used to this camera so the pictures really aren't that great. This garden and little house have always been one of my favorites.




Even when I'm out I can't shake cats. This one was VERY friendly.


I always seem to pick the hottest day to visit and I kind of wished this place was still open~something cold to drink sounded very appealing.


I get so caught up in looking at everything, that I invariably trip over something like this


Well, I think my alone time is coming to an end for now. Thanks again for visiting!

P.S. Thank-you to my son~I don't know if I would have been able to figure this html stuff out without his help.

5 comments:

Siobhán said...

Oooh, beautiful stitching! I love your finishes and your WIP. I have that A&E started as part of the Crazy January Challenge and hope to get it finished before the year end.

I am glad you're enjoying The Heretic's Daughter! I was reading something on Twitter about how it's the anniversary of some of the 'witches' deaths.

I enjoyed the pictures of old New Castle. I love love love it there. We were going to buy a house there but we couldn't get permission to change one of the houses and the additions made to it over the years were wonky. The second house had asbestos. I love the smell of boxwood there.

Karen said...

Nice pictures of your projects, Penny! I especially love the Adam and Eve sampler. I also enjoyed seeing the pictures of your day at Old New Castle. I guess that adorable gray kitty knows a cat person when he sees one!

Margaret said...

I love all your stitching projects!!!! So yummy! Great A&E finish! And your Mary Rayner -- so pretty! It's nice to see what it looks like. I have the chart and it's on the someday list. :D I enjoyed your pics of Old New Castle as well!

BrendaS said...

Beautiful finishes and nice work on your WIP's:))

I also enjoyed seeing pictures of Old New Castle. Very interesting!

Heidi said...

Love your A&E sampler! So an A&E wall are in your future? :-)

Thanks for taking me along with you on your walk. This reminded me of seeing Annapolis when my sister lived there. And you never can walk past a friendly cat of course...lol.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi